Taste of Istanbul: Turkish Shrimp Kebab Recipe
I’m going to teach you a recipe for turkish shrimp kebab that you can make and eat at home!
About Turkish Shrimp Kebab
Health and Nutritional Information:
Shrimp Turkish-style kebab is a dish that combines shrimp, traditional Turkish flavors, and various ingredients. Shrimp is a good source of lean protein and contains essential vitamins and minerals. The overall nutritional content of shrimp Turkish-style kebab will depend on the specific ingredients and cooking methods used.
Shrimp Turkish-style kebab is a flavorful and satisfying meal option. It is recommended for seafood lovers and those who enjoy the distinct flavors of Turkish cuisine. Serve it with a side of salad, yogurt sauce, and traditional Turkish bread for a complete and balanced meal.
Information about Ingredients:
To make shrimp Turkish-style kebab, you will need ingredients such as shrimp, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, spices (such as paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes), and optional vegetables like bell peppers and onions. The kebabs are typically cooked on skewers or grilled.
Historical and Cultural Background:
Kebabs are a popular dish in Turkish cuisine, with a rich history dating back centuries. The use of skewers and grilling techniques in Turkish cuisine has been influenced by the nomadic traditions of the region. Shrimp Turkish-style kebab is a variation that incorporates shrimp as the main protein, while still maintaining the traditional flavors and cooking methods.
Home Cooking Tips and Equipment Introduction:
When making shrimp Turkish-style kebab at home, marinate the shrimp in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and spices for at least 30 minutes to enhance the flavors. Skewers can be used to thread the shrimp and optional vegetables before grilling or cooking on a stovetop grill pan. Ensure the shrimp are cooked thoroughly but not overcooked to maintain their tenderness.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
Shrimp Turkish-style kebab pairs well with a variety of complementary dishes and beverages. Serve it with traditional Turkish sides like bulgur pilaf, cacık (yogurt and cucumber dip), and fresh salad. For beverages, consider serving it with a refreshing glass of Ayran (a traditional Turkish yogurt-based drink) or a light and crisp white wine.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Turkish Shrimp Kebab Recipe and Tips
- 1 pound (450 grams) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden or metal skewers
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Pita bread or rice
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix well to create a marinade.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp to the marinade. Toss the shrimp to coat them evenly. Allow them to marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator. The longer they marinate, the more flavorful they will be.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 30 minutes to prevent them from burning. If you’re using metal skewers, skip this step.
- Preheat your grill or broiler to medium-high heat.
- Thread the marinated shrimp onto the skewers, leaving a little space between each shrimp.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the preheated grill or broiler. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, until the shrimp turn pink and opaque. Be careful not to overcook them, as they can become rubbery.
- Once cooked, remove the shrimp kebabs from the heat and transfer them to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh lemon wedges and chopped parsley. Serve the shrimp kebabs with pita bread or rice, and any additional sides or sauces you prefer.
- Choose fresh and high-quality shrimp for the best results.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them beforehand to prevent them from burning.
- You can also add vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or cherry tomatoes to the skewers for added flavor and variety.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp, as they can become tough and chewy. Cook them just until they turn pink and opaque.
- Serve the kebabs immediately for the best taste and texture.
Enjoy your Turkish Shrimp Kebab!
Turkish Shrimp Kebab Calories
The calorie content of Shrimp Turkish Kebab can vary depending on the specific ingredients and portion sizes used. However, I can provide you with an approximate calorie estimate based on a general recipe:
The following calorie information is based on a serving size of approximately 4 ounces (113 grams) of shrimp kebabs:
- Shrimp (4 ounces): Approximately 100-120 calories
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons): Approximately 240 calories
- Lemon juice (2 tablespoons): Approximately 8 calories
- Garlic (2 cloves): Approximately 10-15 calories
- Spices (cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper): Negligible calories
- Pita bread (1 piece, small): Approximately 70-80 calories
Please note that these calorie estimates are approximate and can vary based on the specific brands or ingredients used. Additionally, the calorie content may change if you modify the recipe or add any additional ingredients or sauces.
It’s always a good idea to calculate the exact calorie content based on the specific brands and amounts of ingredients you use, especially if you have specific dietary requirements or are following a calorie-controlled diet.
- The Shrimp Turkish Kebab is visually appealing with vibrant colors from the marinated shrimp and accompanying vegetables.
- The aroma of the spices and grilled shrimp is enticing and fills the air.
- The skewered shrimp kebabs are easy to handle and make for an enjoyable eating experience.
- The shrimp is tender and succulent, perfectly cooked to a pink and opaque texture.
- The marinade enhances the flavor of the shrimp, offering a delightful combination of tanginess from the lemon juice and subtle heat from the spices.
- The cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper add depth and complexity to the taste, while the garlic infuses a savory note.
- The smoky charred edges from grilling contribute a delicious smokiness to the overall flavor.
- The combination of the shrimp’s natural sweetness and the well-balanced marinade results in a harmonious taste profile.
- When paired with pita bread or rice, the Shrimp Turkish Kebab creates a satisfying and balanced meal.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥Turkish Shrimp Kebab Recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥