Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes
Hello! Good day! 🙂♡
Today, I’m going to tell you a special recipe that you can make and eat at home!
If you add the linked page to your bookmarks now, you won’t have to worry about the menu again.
Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes
This dish brings together succulent roast chicken and flavorful shmaltzy potatoes, offering a hearty and satisfying meal. The chicken provides a good source of protein, while the potatoes offer a comforting and hearty side. The dish can be made more nutritious by using skinless chicken and incorporating a variety of colorful vegetables.
For a complete meal, consider serving this skillet roast chicken with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh green salad. The combination of the savory chicken and rich potatoes with a burst of freshness creates a well-rounded dining experience.
Cultural and Global Context:
Roast chicken is a beloved dish in many cultures, enjoyed across various countries. Different variations of roasted chicken exist worldwide, often featuring regional spices and cooking techniques. The method of using a skillet for roasting adds a rustic touch to the preparation, making it suitable for both everyday meals and special occasions.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
For a crispy and golden skin, pat the chicken dry before seasoning and searing it in the skillet. A cast-iron skillet is an ideal choice for this dish, as it provides even heat distribution and excellent searing capabilities.
To elevate the shmaltzy potatoes, consider using a mix of different potato varieties for varying textures. You can also add chopped fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme to the potatoes for additional flavor.
Matching with Food and Drinks:
A medium-bodied red wine, such as a Pinot Noir or a Merlot, complements the richness of the roast chicken and the hearty potatoes. The wine’s fruity and slightly earthy notes harmonize with the dish’s flavors, enhancing the overall dining experience.
The cost of ingredients can vary depending on factors like the type of chicken, potato variety, and additional seasonings used. While chicken can be a moderate cost, potatoes are generally an affordable ingredient. Opting for local and seasonal produce can help manage costs and ensure fresher ingredients.
Indulge in the warmth and comfort of this Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes, a dish that combines the heartiness of roasted chicken with the indulgence of flavorful potatoes.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along! 🙂
Cooking time, Recipe and Tips, Storage and Shelf Life
The cooking time for Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes can vary depending on the size of the chicken and the specific method used. On average, it takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to prepare, including both preparation and cooking time.
Recipe and Tips:
- Whole chicken (3-4 lbs)
- Potatoes (2-3 lbs), peeled and cut into chunks
- Olive oil or schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, or sage)
- Garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with fresh herbs and garlic cloves.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil or schmaltz.
- Sear the chicken in the skillet, breast-side down, until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Flip and sear the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside. Add the potato chunks to the skillet.
- Toss the potatoes in the remaining oil or schmaltz, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the seared chicken on top of the potatoes in the skillet.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, about 1 to 1.5 hours. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165°F (74°C).
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before carving.
- Serve the roast chicken and shmaltzy potatoes together on a platter, garnished with fresh herbs.
- For a crispy skin, make sure to pat the chicken dry before seasoning and searing.
- If using schmaltz (rendered chicken fat), it adds a rich and traditional flavor to both the chicken and potatoes.
- You can enhance the flavors by adding lemon slices or wedges to the chicken cavity before roasting.
- To achieve even cooking, consider using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
Storage and Shelf Life:
Leftover roast chicken and shmaltzy potatoes can be stored separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat the chicken in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until heated through. For the potatoes, you can reheat them in the oven or on the stovetop. The texture of the potatoes might change slightly upon reheating, but the flavors will remain delicious.
How many calories?
The number of calories in Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes can vary based on the specific quantities of ingredients used and the portion sizes. Here’s a rough estimate of the calorie content for each main component:
Roast Chicken: The calorie content of the roast chicken depends on its size and whether you consume white meat or dark meat. On average:
- Skinless, bone-in chicken breast (per 4 oz): Approximately 150-180 calories.
- Skinless, bone-in chicken thigh (per 4 oz): Approximately 180-220 calories.
- Potatoes (per 1 cup cooked): Approximately 100-120 calories.
Keep in mind that these estimates are approximate and can vary based on factors like the type of chicken and the specific cooking methods used. Additionally, the calorie content can change depending on any added fats or seasonings.
To calculate the total calorie content for your specific recipe, you’ll need to determine the portion sizes of both the roast chicken and the shmaltzy potatoes that you’re serving. You can then add up the calorie values for each component based on the estimates provided above.
For a more precise calorie count, it’s recommended to use a nutrition calculator or app that allows you to input the exact quantities of each ingredient used in your recipe. This will provide you with a more accurate measurement of the calorie content per serving.
Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes captures attention with its rustic charm and inviting aroma. The sight of golden-brown chicken nestled atop seasoned potatoes creates an image of hearty comfort. The skillet’s presentation adds a sense of homeliness, hinting at a satisfying meal that’s both comforting and flavorful.
With the first forkful, Skillet Roast Chicken with Shmaltzy Potatoes delivers a combination of textures and flavors that delight the palate. The roast chicken, tender and juicy, boasts a harmonious blend of seasonings, while the shmaltzy potatoes beneath exude a richness from the rendered chicken fat.
Each bite of chicken carries the essence of herbs and spices, heightened by the flavorful sear from the skillet. The skin, when present, offers a delightful crunch and a burst of savory notes. As the fork meets the shmaltzy potatoes, the creamy interior contrasts with the crispy exterior, creating a delightful play of textures.
The dish’s simplicity belies its depth of flavor. The potatoes, cooked in the chicken’s flavorful drippings, absorb the essence of the meat, resulting in a side that’s both decadent and satisfying. The aromatic herbs and seasoning permeate each element, contributing to a cohesive taste experience.
Presented together, the roast chicken and shmaltzy potatoes invite diners to savor a harmonious pairing. The melding of poultry and potatoes, each enhanced by their shared cooking vessel, creates a symphony of comfort and flavor that lingers long after the meal is finished.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
Enjoy your meal and have a happy day! ♥