From Oven to Plate: The Perfect Shrimp Pie Recipe
Hello! Today, I’m going to show you a recipe for shrimp pie that you can make at home!
About Shrimp Pie
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Shrimp Pie can be a good source of protein, as shrimp is low in fat and calories but rich in essential nutrients.
- The nutritional profile of Shrimp Pie can vary based on the specific recipe and ingredients used. It may contain carbohydrates from the pie crust and various vegetables, along with vitamins and minerals from the shrimp and other ingredients.
- Shrimp Pie makes for a satisfying and flavorful meal option, suitable for lunch or dinner.
- It can be served as the main course alongside a fresh salad or steamed vegetables for a well-balanced meal.
- The main ingredient in Shrimp Pie is, of course, shrimp, which can be combined with a variety of other ingredients such as onions, garlic, vegetables, herbs, and spices.
- The pie crust is typically made from flour, butter, and water, while additional ingredients like eggs, cream, and cheese can be used to enhance the flavor and texture.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Shrimp Pie does not have a specific historical or cultural background. However, shrimp-based dishes have been enjoyed in various cuisines around the world, including coastal regions where shrimp is abundant.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- When making Shrimp Pie at home, you may consider using a pre-made pie crust for convenience or make your own from scratch using a pastry cutter or food processor.
- To enhance the flavor, sauté the shrimp with onions, garlic, and spices before adding them to the pie filling.
- Baking the pie in a preheated oven at the recommended temperature ensures a crispy and golden crust.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Shrimp Pie pairs well with light and refreshing beverages such as iced tea, lemonade, or a crisp white wine.
- As for side dishes, a fresh green salad or steamed vegetables can complement the flavors of the pie.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Shrimp Pie Recipe and Tips
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 pound (450g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs (such as parsley or dill) for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and sauté until softened.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until they turn pink and are cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the chicken or vegetable broth over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk the flour into the heavy cream until smooth. Slowly pour the cream mixture into the heated broth, whisking constantly until it thickens.
- Combine the shrimp and vegetable mixture with the creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the pie crust into a pie dish. Pour the shrimp mixture into the crust and spread it evenly.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any potential spills. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
- You can customize the recipe by adding other vegetables such as corn, peas, or mushrooms.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to enhance the flavor of the pie, such as paprika, thyme, or Old Bay seasoning.
- If using frozen shrimp, make sure to thaw them properly before cooking.
- Serve the Shrimp Pie warm as a main course, accompanied by a side salad or steamed vegetables.
Shrimp Pie Calories
The calorie content of Shrimp Pie can vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredient quantities used. Here is a general estimate of the calorie range for Shrimp Pie:
- Shrimp: Approximately 60-80 calories per 3 ounces (85 grams), depending on the size and cooking method.
- Pie crust: The calorie content of the pie crust can vary based on the brand and type used. On average, a store-bought pie crust can range from 100-150 calories per serving.
- Heavy cream: Approximately 50-60 calories per tablespoon (15ml), depending on the brand and type.
- Butter: Approximately 100-120 calories per tablespoon (14 grams), depending on the brand and type.
- Other ingredients such as onions, garlic, and bell peppers contribute minimal calories.
Considering these estimates, a serving of Shrimp Pie can range from approximately 300 to 500 calories or more, depending on the specific recipe and portion size. Please note that these numbers are approximate and can vary based on the ingredients and measurements used in your recipe. To get a more accurate calorie count, it’s recommended to calculate the calories based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients you use.
- Shrimp Pie is a savory dish that combines the delicate flavor of shrimp with a rich and flaky crust.
- The pie is visually appealing with its golden-brown crust and chunks of shrimp peeking through.
- Shrimp Pie offers a delightful combination of flavors. The shrimp brings a subtle sweetness, while the savory elements of onions, garlic, and herbs add depth to the dish.
- The creamy sauce enhances the overall richness and adds a smooth texture to each bite.
- The buttery and flaky pie crust provides a satisfying contrast to the tender shrimp filling.
- The combination of seafood and pastry creates a comforting and indulgent flavor profile that is sure to please seafood lovers.
- The flavors of the shrimp, creamy sauce, and buttery crust meld together harmoniously, resulting in a delicious and satisfying pie.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥Shrimp pie recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥