Shrimp meatball recipe
Hello! Today, I’m going to show you a recipe for shrimp meatballs that you can make at home!
About Shrimp Meatballs
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Shrimp meatballs are a good source of lean protein and low in fat, making them a healthier alternative to traditional meatballs.
- Shrimp is rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins D and B12, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health and brain function.
- Shrimp meatballs are generally lower in calories compared to meat-based meatballs, but the exact nutritional content will depend on the specific ingredients and cooking methods used.
- Shrimp meatballs can be enjoyed as a main course, served with a side of steamed vegetables or salad, or as an appetizer or party snack.
- They are a versatile option that can be incorporated into various dishes such as pasta, stir-fries, or sandwiches.
- 1 pound (450g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Bread crumbs or panko
- Finely chopped onions and garlic
- Fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro
- Salt, pepper, and any desired seasonings
- Optional ingredients for flavor variations: chopped chili peppers, grated cheese, or minced ginger.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Shrimp meatballs have a long history in various cuisines, including Asian, Mediterranean, and Latin American.
- They are often associated with seafood-rich regions and coastal communities where shrimp is readily available.
- The specific cultural significance and culinary traditions surrounding shrimp meatballs may vary across different cultures and regions.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- To achieve a tender texture, avoid overmixing the shrimp mixture and handle it gently.
- Chilling the mixture in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before shaping the meatballs can help them hold their shape.
- Use a food processor or blender to finely chop the shrimp if desired.
- Non-stick pans or baking sheets are useful for cooking the meatballs without excessive sticking.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Shrimp meatballs pair well with various dipping sauces such as sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, or aioli.
- They can be served with a side of rice, noodles, or crusty bread to create a complete meal.
- Light-bodied white wines, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, or refreshing cocktails can complement the flavors of shrimp meatballs.
Please note that the provided information is general and may vary based on specific recipes and ingredients used.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Shrimp Meatball Recipe and Tips
- 1 pound (450g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (such as parsley or cilantro), chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped chili peppers, grated cheese, minced ginger (for flavor variations)
- In a food processor, pulse the shrimp until coarsely chopped. Be careful not to overprocess; you want some texture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped shrimp, bread crumbs, onions, garlic, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, and any desired optional ingredients. Mix well until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. You can use a tablespoon or your hands to form them. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Alternatively, you can cook the meatballs on the stovetop in a non-stick pan with a little oil.
- If baking, place the meatballs in the preheated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through and lightly browned. If cooking on the stovetop, cook the meatballs for about 8-10 minutes, turning them occasionally, until they are cooked through.
- Serve the shrimp meatballs as desired, either as a main dish, appetizers, or in a sauce with pasta or noodles.
- Use fresh shrimp for the best flavor and texture. If using frozen shrimp, make sure to thaw and pat them dry before processing.
- Don’t overmix the shrimp mixture to avoid a rubbery texture. Mix just until everything is combined.
- If the mixture is too wet and difficult to shape, add more bread crumbs or panko to absorb the excess moisture.
- For added flavor, you can marinate the shrimp in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, and ginger before processing them in the food processor.
- Experiment with different seasonings and optional ingredients to customize the flavor of your shrimp meatballs.
Enjoy your delicious shrimp meatball
Calories of shrimp meatballs
The calorie content of shrimp meatballs can vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the size of the meatballs. As a general guideline, a serving of shrimp meatballs (approximately 4 meatballs, weighing around 4 ounces or 113 grams) can range from 150 to 250 calories. However, it’s important to note that this is an estimate and can vary based on the recipe and cooking method used. If you have a specific recipe or brand in mind, it’s best to refer to the nutritional information on the packaging or calculate the calories based on the ingredients used in your homemade shrimp meatballs.
- The shrimp meatballs are flavorful and satisfying.
- They have a delightful seafood taste with a hint of herbs and spices.
- The texture of the meatballs is moist and tender.
- The shrimp adds a unique twist to traditional meatballs, making them more interesting and enjoyable.
- The shrimp meatballs have a delicate and mild flavor that pairs well with various sauces or dips.
- The combination of shrimp and herbs creates a refreshing and aromatic taste.
- The meatballs are savory and have a pleasant umami flavor.
- They offer a lighter alternative to traditional meatballs while still providing a satisfying and delicious eating experience.
Enjoy the shrimp meatballs as a tasty appetizer, a main course with your favorite sauce, or as a unique addition to pasta dishes or stir-fries!
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
Shrimp meatball recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!