Korean Delight: Shrimp Dakgalbi Recipe
Hello! Today, I’ll tell you the recipe for shrimp dakgalbi that you can make at home!
▶ 20 Simple Dinners For When You’re Feeling Stressed ◀
If you add the linked page to your bookmarks now, you won’t have to worry about the menu again.
About Shrimp Dakgalbi
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Shrimp Dakgalbi is a dish that combines shrimp and chicken with various vegetables and a spicy sauce.
- Shrimp is a good source of lean protein and provides essential nutrients such as selenium, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chicken adds additional protein to the dish and is a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- The nutritional content of Shrimp Dakgalbi can vary based on the specific recipe and ingredients used, including the amount of sauce and cooking oil.
Meal Recommendation and Ingredients:
- Shrimp Dakgalbi is a flavorful and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed as a main course.
- It typically includes ingredients such as shrimp, chicken, cabbage, carrots, onions, scallions, and a spicy sauce made with gochujang (Korean chili paste) and other seasonings.
- The combination of ingredients creates a delicious blend of flavors and textures, with the shrimp and chicken adding a seafood and poultry element to the dish.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Dakgalbi is a popular Korean dish that originated in the city of Chuncheon.
- Traditionally, Dakgalbi was made with only chicken, but variations such as Shrimp Dakgalbi have emerged to cater to different tastes and preferences.
- It is commonly enjoyed as a communal dish, cooked on a large pan or skillet at the center of the table, allowing everyone to participate in the cooking process.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- To make Shrimp Dakgalbi at home, you will need a large skillet or pan for stir-frying the ingredients.
- It is recommended to use fresh, high-quality shrimp and chicken for the best flavor and texture.
- Adjust the spiciness of the sauce according to your preference by adding more or less gochujang.
- Adding additional vegetables like mushrooms or sweet potatoes can enhance the nutritional value and variety of the dish.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Shrimp Dakgalbi pairs well with a variety of side dishes, such as steamed rice, kimchi, and pickled vegetables.
- For a complete meal, you can serve it with a bowl of hot rice and a side of refreshing salad.
- As for beverages, traditional Korean options like soju or makgeolli complement the flavors of the dish. Alternatively, you can pair it with a light and crisp beer or a refreshing iced tea.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Recipe and tips for spicy stir-fried shrimp
- 1 pound (450 grams) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together the gochujang, soy sauce, honey or brown sugar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the onion and bell pepper slices to the skillet and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the shrimp to the other side. Cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping the shrimp halfway through, until they turn pink and opaque.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the shrimp and vegetables. Stir-fry everything together for another 1-2 minutes until well coated and heated through.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve the spicy stir-fried shrimp hot as a main course with steamed rice or as a filling for tacos, wraps, or lettuce wraps.
- Choose fresh shrimp for the best taste and texture. You can use either fresh or frozen shrimp, but make sure to thaw frozen shrimp before cooking.
- Adjust the spiciness of the dish by increasing or decreasing the amount of gochujang according to your preference. You can also add some red pepper flakes or chili powder for extra heat.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or carrots for more flavor and nutrition.
- Stir-frying requires high heat, so make sure to have all your ingredients prepped and ready before you start cooking.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp to avoid a rubbery texture. They should turn pink and opaque but still remain tender.
- Customize the dish by adding other seasonings like ginger, garlic powder, or a splash of rice vinegar for added depth of flavor.
- For a complete meal, serve the spicy stir-fried shrimp with steamed rice and a side of sautéed vegetables or a fresh salad.
Enjoy your spicy stir-fried shrimp!
The calories of shrimp dakgalbi
The calorie content of shrimp dakgalbi can vary depending on the specific ingredients and cooking method used. However, I can provide you with an approximate calorie estimate based on a general recipe:
The following calorie information is based on a serving size of approximately 1 cup (200 grams) of shrimp dakgalbi:
- Shrimp (200 grams): Approximately 150-200 calories
- Chicken (200 grams): Approximately 300-400 calories
- Vegetables (cabbage, carrots, onions, etc.): Approximately 50-100 calories
- Gochujang (Korean chili paste) and other seasonings: Negligible calories
Please note that these calorie estimates are approximate and can vary based on the specific brands or ingredients used, as well as any variations in the recipe. It’s always a good idea to calculate the exact calorie content based on the specific brands and amounts of ingredients you use, especially if you have specific dietary requirements or are following a calorie-controlled diet.
- Shrimp dakgalbi presents a vibrant and enticing dish with a combination of succulent shrimp, tender chicken, and colorful vegetables.
- The sizzling sound and aroma that waft from the cooking pan create an inviting atmosphere.
- The sight of the dish, adorned with vibrant red gochujang sauce and a variety of vegetables, is visually appealing.
- The shrimp and chicken are cooked to perfection, offering a delightful combination of seafood and poultry flavors.
- The gochujang sauce infuses the dish with a spicy and tangy taste that packs a punch.
- The vegetables, such as cabbage, carrots, and onions, add a crisp texture and freshness to each bite.
- The combination of flavors in shrimp dakgalbi is a perfect balance of spiciness, sweetness, and umami.
- The dish offers a satisfying contrast of textures, with the tender shrimp, juicy chicken, and crunchy vegetables.
- Each bite is a burst of flavors that harmonize and complement each other.
- The communal aspect of cooking and enjoying shrimp dakgalbi adds to the overall dining experience, fostering a sense of togetherness and enjoyment.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥Shrimp stir-fried chicken recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥