Homemade Shrimp Curry Udon
I’m going to show you a recipe for shrimp curry udon that you can make at home!
About Shrimp Curry Udon
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Shrimp Curry Udon is a dish that combines udon noodles, shrimp, and a curry-based sauce.
- Udon noodles are made from wheat flour and are a good source of carbohydrates.
- Shrimp provides lean protein and is a source of essential nutrients like selenium and omega-3 fatty acids.
- The nutritional content of Shrimp Curry Udon can vary based on the specific recipe and ingredients used, including the type and amount of curry sauce and any additional toppings.
Meal Recommendation and Ingredients:
- Shrimp Curry Udon can be enjoyed as a satisfying and flavorful main course.
- It typically includes ingredients such as udon noodles, shrimp, curry sauce, vegetables like onions and carrots, and optional garnishes such as green onions or sesame seeds.
- The combination of ingredients creates a comforting and hearty dish with a fusion of Japanese and curry flavors.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Udon noodles are a popular type of thick wheat noodle in Japanese cuisine.
- Curry has been embraced in Japan and has become a staple of Japanese cuisine, with its own unique variations and adaptations.
- The combination of udon noodles and curry showcases the fusion of Japanese and international culinary influences.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- To make Shrimp Curry Udon at home, you will need a large pot for cooking the udon noodles and a separate pan for preparing the shrimp and curry sauce.
- Use high-quality udon noodles for the best texture and flavor.
- You can customize the curry sauce by using store-bought curry roux or making your own curry paste from scratch.
- Experiment with different vegetables and spices to add more depth and variety to the dish.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Shrimp Curry Udon pairs well with a variety of side dishes such as tempura, gyoza (dumplings), or a fresh salad.
- As for beverages, you can enjoy it with a hot cup of green tea, a refreshing iced tea, or even a light beer or sake to complement the flavors of the dish.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Shrimp Curry Udon Recipe and Tips
- 8 ounces (225 grams) udon noodles
- 8-10 medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion, julienned carrot, and minced garlic to the pan. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the shrimp to the other side. Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and opaque.
- Sprinkle curry powder over the vegetables and shrimp. Stir everything together to coat evenly.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring it to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked udon noodles to the pan and toss everything together until the noodles are coated with the curry sauce.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve the shrimp curry udon hot, and enjoy!
- Adjust the spiciness of the dish by adding more or less curry powder or using a milder or hotter curry powder according to your preference.
- Feel free to add other vegetables like bell peppers, mushrooms, or snow peas to add more flavor and nutrition to the dish.
- For an extra burst of flavor, you can marinate the shrimp in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, and garlic before cooking.
- If you prefer a creamier curry sauce, you can increase the amount of coconut milk or add a dollop of coconut cream.
- Experiment with different toppings like sliced boiled eggs, bean sprouts, or cilantro to enhance the presentation and taste of the dish.
- If you don’t have udon noodles, you can substitute with other types of noodles such as soba or rice noodles.
- Adjust the thickness of the curry sauce by adding more or less broth or coconut milk, based on your preference.
Enjoy your delicious shrimp curry udon!
Shrimp Curry Udon Calories
The calorie content of shrimp curry udon can vary depending on the specific ingredients and portion size. Here’s an approximate calorie estimate for a serving of shrimp curry udon:
- Udon noodles (8 ounces/225 grams): Approximately 200-250 calories
- Shrimp (8-10 medium-sized shrimp): Approximately 50-70 calories
- Vegetable oil (1 tablespoon): Approximately 120-130 calories
- Onion, carrot, garlic, and other vegetables: Approximately 20-50 calories
- Curry powder (1 tablespoon): Approximately 20-30 calories
- Chicken or vegetable broth (1 cup/240 ml): Approximately 10-20 calories
- Coconut milk (1/2 cup/120 ml): Approximately 100-150 calories
Please note that these calorie estimates are approximate and can vary based on the specific brands or ingredients used, as well as any variations in the recipe. It’s always a good idea to calculate the exact calorie content based on the specific brands and amounts of ingredients you use, especially if you have specific dietary requirements or are following a calorie-controlled diet.
- Shrimp curry udon offers a delightful combination of plump shrimp, thick udon noodles, and a flavorful curry sauce.
- The vibrant colors and aroma of the dish create an inviting and appetizing presentation.
- The sight of the shrimp nestled among the noodles, coated in the rich and fragrant curry sauce, is visually appealing.
- The shrimp brings a delicate sweetness to the dish, complemented by the bold and aromatic flavors of the curry sauce.
- The udon noodles provide a satisfying chewiness and soak up the flavors of the curry, creating a harmonious blend of textures.
- The curry sauce offers a perfect balance of spice, richness, and depth, adding a delightful kick to each mouthful.
- The combination of shrimp, udon noodles, and curry results in a comforting and satisfying umami experience.
- Each bite is a delicious medley of flavors, with the curry sauce infusing the shrimp and noodles with its distinct and enticing taste.
- The dish is a fusion of Japanese and curry influences, resulting in a unique and captivating culinary experience.
- The communal aspect of sharing a steaming bowl of shrimp curry udon enha
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥Shrimp curry udon recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥