Savory Tomato and Egg Pie Recipe
Hello! Good day! 🙂♡
Today, I’m going to tell you a special recipe that you can make and eat at home!
About Egg Tomato Pie
Health and Nutritional Information:
Egg and Tomato Pie is generally considered a nutritious option as it combines protein from eggs and vitamins from tomatoes. Eggs provide essential nutrients like protein, vitamins A, D, and B12, as well as minerals like iron and selenium. Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants. However, the nutritional content can be influenced by the crust and other added ingredients, so it’s essential to consider portion sizes and choose wholesome ingredients.
This Egg and Tomato Pie is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or even as a light lunch option. It provides a satisfying and nourishing meal with its wholesome ingredients.
The main components of Egg and Tomato Pie include eggs, tomatoes, a pastry crust (shortcrust or puff pastry), cheese (often feta or mozzarella), onions, and herbs like basil or oregano. The ingredients can be adapted to personal preferences, and adding a mix of colorful vegetables can enhance both the taste and visual appeal of the dish.
Historical and Cultural Background:
Egg and Tomato Pie’s specific historical origins might vary, but variations of savory pies with eggs and vegetables have been enjoyed in many cultures for centuries. The combination of eggs and tomatoes in a pie is a classic pairing found in various cuisines around the world, showcasing the versatility of both ingredients.
Homemade Tips and Equipment Introduction:
Making Egg and Tomato Pie at home allows for creativity and customization. To ensure a successful pie, pre-bake the crust slightly before adding the egg mixture to avoid a soggy bottom. Whisk the eggs well with herbs and seasonings to distribute flavors evenly. A pie dish or quiche pan works well for baking, and using high-quality ingredients will elevate the final result.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
Egg and Tomato Pie pairs excellently with a variety of accompaniments. For a balanced meal, serve it with a side salad or steamed vegetables to add freshness and nutrients. As for beverages, options like a fresh fruit juice or iced tea can complement the flavors of the pie.
Enjoy this delicious Egg and Tomato Pie as a delightful and nutritious addition to your mealtime repertoire.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along! 🙂
Egg Tomato Pie Recipe and Tips
Egg Tomato Pie Recipe:
- 1 pre-made pie crust (shortcrust or puff pastry)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). If using a frozen pie crust, let it thaw according to the package instructions.
- Prepare the filling: In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until they become translucent. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes until the excess moisture evaporates. Season with salt and black pepper. Remove the skillet from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until well beaten. Add the chopped basil or oregano and stir to combine.
- Assemble the pie: Place the pre-made pie crust in a pie dish or quiche pan. Spread the tomato and onion mixture evenly over the crust. Sprinkle the crumbled feta or shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the tomatoes. Pour the whisked egg mixture over the cheese and tomatoes, ensuring it covers the entire surface.
- Bake the pie: Carefully transfer the pie to the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the eggs are set and the top is lightly golden.
- Serve: Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing and serving. Enjoy your delicious Egg Tomato Pie!
- You can customize the filling by adding other vegetables like bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms to enhance the flavors and nutritional content.
- If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can omit the cheese or use a plant-based cheese substitute.
- To avoid a soggy crust, pre-bake the empty pie crust for about 10 minutes before adding the filling.
- For added richness, you can use half-and-half or cream instead of milk when whisking the eggs.
- Let the pie cool for a few minutes before slicing to allow the filling to set properly.
- Leftover slices can be refrigerated and reheated in the microwave or oven for a quick and delicious breakfast or lunch.
Enjoy your homemade Egg Tomato Pie, a delightful and versatile dish perfect for any time of the day!
Eggs, tomatoes, pies, calories
The number of calories in a dish containing eggs, tomatoes, and pies can vary widely depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used. Here is a rough estimate of the calorie content for each component:
- Eggs: One large egg contains approximately 70-80 calories.
- Tomatoes: One medium-sized tomato contains around 20-30 calories, depending on its size and variety.
- Pies: The calorie content of a pie can vary significantly based on the type of crust used, the filling, and the portion size. On average, a slice of pie can range from 300 to 500 calories or more.
Please keep in mind that these calorie estimates are approximate and can vary based on the specific preparation and ingredients used in a particular recipe. If you are concerned about the calorie content of a specific dish, it’s best to calculate it based on the exact ingredients and quantities you use. Additionally, for a healthier option, consider using lighter crusts, reducing the amount of cheese or using a low-fat cheese, and incorporating plenty of vegetables to increase the nutritional value of the dish.
The Egg Tomato Pie is a delightful and visually appealing dish that immediately catches the eye with its vibrant colors and inviting aroma. The combination of golden-brown crust, juicy tomatoes, and the creamy egg filling creates a sense of comfort and warmth. Its simple yet elegant appearance promises a comforting and satisfying meal.
With the first bite, the flavors of the Egg Tomato Pie come together in a harmonious blend. The creamy and custardy texture of the egg filling complements the juicy sweetness of the tomatoes, creating a delectable contrast. The richness of the eggs balances well with the light tanginess of the tomatoes, while the cheese adds a delightful creaminess. The crust provides a satisfying crunch, completing the taste experience. Each forkful is a delightful medley of flavors that make this pie a true treat for the taste buds. The Egg Tomato Pie is a wonderful option for a comforting and flavorsome meal that celebrates the goodness of eggs and tomatoes.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
Egg Tomato Pie Recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day! ♥