Recipe of stir-fried rice cake
Hello! Today, I’ll tell you how to make tteokbokki at home!
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Tteokbokki, or Korean spicy rice cakes, is a flavorful and satisfying dish.
- It is generally high in carbohydrates due to the rice cakes and the sauce.
- The dish can be made healthier by incorporating more vegetables and lean protein options.
- Tteokbokki is commonly enjoyed as a snack or a main dish in Korean cuisine.
- It is a popular street food and a favorite among Koreans of all ages.
- The main ingredient of tteokbokki is rice cakes, which are cylindrical or oval-shaped chewy rice-based tubes.
- The sauce is typically made with gochujang (Korean red chili paste), soy sauce, sugar, and other seasonings.
- Various additional ingredients can be added, such as fish cakes, vegetables, and boiled eggs.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Tteokbokki has a long history and is considered a staple in Korean cuisine.
- It originated from the royal court cuisine during the Joseon Dynasty and later became a popular street food.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- To make homemade tteokbokki, you will need a large pot or a wok to cook the rice cakes and sauce.
- It’s recommended to soak the rice cakes in warm water before cooking to soften them.
- You can customize the level of spiciness and sweetness in the sauce according to your preference.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Tteokbokki is often enjoyed with a variety of side dishes, such as kimchi or fried mandu (dumplings).
- It pairs well with refreshing beverages like Korean rice wine (makgeolli) or a cold carbonated drink.
Enjoy your tteokbokki!
tteokbokki recipe and tips
- 1 pound of rice cakes (tteok)
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, onions, etc.)
- 1 cup of protein (chicken, beef, or tofu)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Optional: sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
- Soak the rice cakes in warm water for about 30 minutes to soften them.
- In a wok or large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the protein (chicken, beef, or tofu) and stir-fry until cooked through.
- Add the mixed vegetables and continue stir-frying for a few minutes until they are slightly tender.
- Drain the soaked rice cakes and add them to the pan.
- Mix the soy sauce and oyster sauce together in a small bowl, then pour it over the rice cakes and vegetables.
- Stir-fry everything together for about 5-7 minutes until the rice cakes are fully cooked and coated with the sauce.
- Drizzle the sesame oil over the stir-fried rice cakes and give it a final toss.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- You can customize the vegetables and protein according to your preference.
- Adjust the amount of soy sauce and oyster sauce based on your taste preference for saltiness and sweetness.
- If you prefer a spicier version, you can add some gochujang (Korean red chili paste) or crushed red pepper flakes.
- It’s important to soak the rice cakes before cooking to ensure they are soft and chewy.
- Stir-fried rice cakes are best enjoyed immediately while they are hot and freshly cooked.
Enjoy your tteokbokki!
Calories of tteokbokki
The calorie content of stir-fried rice cakes can vary depending on the specific ingredients and quantities used in the recipe. On average, a serving of stir-fried rice cakes (approximately 1 cup) can contain around 200-300 calories. However, it’s important to note that this is just an estimate and the calorie count can be higher or lower depending on the specific ingredients and cooking methods used. To get a more accurate calorie count, it’s recommended to calculate the calories based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients you use in your recipe.
- Tteokbokki is a popular Korean street food known for its spicy and chewy rice cakes.
- It has a vibrant and bold appearance, with a rich red sauce coating the rice cakes.
- Tteokbokki is often enjoyed as a snack or a satisfying meal.
- The taste of tteokbokki is characterized by a balance of spiciness, sweetness, and umami flavors.
- The rice cakes have a satisfying chewy texture, while the sauce adds a spicy kick.
- Tteokbokki is known for its addictive quality, as the flavors and textures combine to create a delicious and comforting experience.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
The recipe for stir-fried rice cake, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!