Recipe for chicken curry
Hello! Today, I’ll tell you a recipe for chicken curry that you can make at home!
About chicken curry
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Chicken curry can be a nutritious dish, especially when made with lean chicken breast and a variety of vegetables.
- Chicken is a good source of high-quality protein, essential amino acids, vitamins (such as B vitamins), and minerals (such as iron and zinc).
- The vegetables used in chicken curry can provide dietary fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Chicken curry makes for a hearty and flavorful meal option.
- It pairs well with steamed rice or naan bread, creating a satisfying and balanced meal.
- The combination of protein from chicken and carbohydrates from rice or bread can provide sustained energy.
- Chicken curry typically includes chicken pieces, onions, garlic, ginger, spices (such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili powder), tomatoes, and coconut milk.
- Additional vegetables like potatoes, carrots, peas, or bell peppers can be added for extra flavor and nutritional value.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Chicken curry has a rich history and is a popular dish in many cultures, including Indian, Thai, and Malaysian cuisines.
- It has been enjoyed for centuries and has adapted to various regional flavors and cooking techniques.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- When making chicken curry at home, it’s important to marinate the chicken beforehand to enhance its flavor and tenderness.
- A slow cooker or a stove-top pot can be used to simmer the curry and allow the flavors to meld together.
- Homemade curry pastes or spice blends can be prepared for a more personalized touch.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Chicken curry pairs well with aromatic basmati rice, naan bread, or roti.
- It can also be enjoyed with a side of yogurt or raita to complement the spices and cool down the palate.
- For beverages, options like mango lassi, iced tea, or a light beer can complement the flavors of the chicken curry.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Chicken curry recipe and tips
- 500g chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cooking oil
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan and sauté for another minute.
- In a small bowl, mix together the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili powder.
- Add the spice mixture to the pan and cook for a minute to release the flavors.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook until they are browned on all sides.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Pour in the coconut milk and season with salt. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the curry simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
- Marinating the chicken in yogurt and spices for a few hours before cooking can enhance its flavor and tenderness.
- You can customize the level of spiciness by adjusting the amount of chili powder or adding fresh chilies.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables like potatoes, carrots, or bell peppers to make it a more hearty and nutritious dish.
- Serve the chicken curry with steamed rice, naan bread, or roti for a complete meal.
- Leftover chicken curry can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and the flavors tend to deepen over time.
Enjoy your delicious chicken curry!
calories of chicken curry
On average, a serving of chicken curry (approximately 1 cup or 240 grams) can contain around 250-350 calories. The calorie content can be higher if the dish contains additional ingredients such as coconut milk, oil, or high-fat cuts of chicken.
It’s important to note that the calorie content may differ based on the recipe and cooking methods used. To have a more accurate estimation, it’s recommended to calculate the calories based on the specific ingredients and quantities used in your homemade chicken curry. You can use online nutrition calculators or consult a registered dietitian for more precise information.
- Chicken curry is a flavorful and aromatic dish that tantalizes the senses.
- The rich and vibrant colors of the curry create an enticing visual appeal.
- The aroma of the spices used in chicken curry is captivating and inviting.
- The combination of ingredients in chicken curry creates a harmonious blend of flavors.
- The texture of the tender chicken and the creamy curry sauce is delightful.
- Chicken curry offers a delightful balance of savory, spicy, and creamy flavors.
- The spices used in the curry infuse the chicken with a depth of flavor.
- The tender chicken absorbs the flavors of the curry, resulting in a satisfying taste.
- The creaminess of the curry sauce adds a luscious and smooth texture.
- The heat from the spices can vary, ranging from mild to hot, providing options for different preferences.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
The recipe for chicken curry, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!