Zesty Delight: Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe
I’m going to show you a recipe for a lemon yogurt cake that you can make at home!
About Lemon Yogurt Cake
Health and Nutritional Information:
Lemon yogurt cake is generally considered a healthier dessert option compared to other rich and indulgent cakes. It often incorporates ingredients such as yogurt, lemon juice, and lemon zest, which can contribute to its nutritional profile. The exact nutritional content may vary depending on the specific recipe and serving size, but lemon yogurt cake is typically lower in calories, fat, and sugar compared to traditional cakes. It can be a good source of protein and calcium from the yogurt, and the lemon adds a dose of vitamin C.
Lemon yogurt cake is a versatile treat that can be enjoyed at various times of the day. It makes for a delightful breakfast or brunch option, paired with a cup of tea or coffee. It can also be served as a light and refreshing dessert after a meal. Whether for a casual gathering or a special occasion, lemon yogurt cake offers a pleasant balance of flavors that can be enjoyed by all.
To make lemon yogurt cake, you will typically need ingredients such as all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, plain yogurt, eggs, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Some variations may include additional ingredients such as poppy seeds or a lemon glaze for added flavor and texture.
Historical or Cultural Background:
Lemon yogurt cake is a popular dessert that has roots in Mediterranean and European cuisines. Yogurt-based cakes have been enjoyed for centuries in various cultures, and the addition of lemon brings a refreshing twist to this classic treat. While there may not be a specific historical or cultural significance tied to lemon yogurt cake, its light and tangy flavors have made it a beloved dessert option in many households.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
When making lemon yogurt cake at home, it’s important to use fresh and high-quality ingredients for the best results. You’ll need basic baking equipment such as mixing bowls, a whisk or electric mixer, and a cake pan. It’s recommended to grease and line the pan with parchment paper to ensure easy removal of the cake. Adding lemon zest and juice to the batter can enhance the citrus flavor, and adjusting the amount of lemon to suit personal preference is always an option.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
Lemon yogurt cake pairs well with a variety of food and beverage options. It can be served with a dollop of whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar for added sweetness. As for beverages, options such as hot tea, iced tea, or a glass of sparkling water with lemon can complement the cake’s refreshing flavors. Consider personal preferences and the occasion when selecting the ideal food and beverage pairings.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe and Tips
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
For the Lemon Glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking until the batter is smooth and well mixed.
- Stir in the vegetable oil and lemon juice until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Lemon Glaze (optional):
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth and well combined.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Use full-fat plain yogurt for a moist and tender cake.
- Be sure to zest the lemons before juicing them as it can be difficult to zest juiced lemons.
- Adjust the amount of lemon zest and juice according to your taste preference.
- To enhance the lemon flavor, you can add a tablespoon of lemon juice and extra zest to the batter.
- If you don’t have a round cake pan, you can use a different shape or size, but adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before adding the glaze to prevent it from melting too quickly.
- The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or refrigerated for longer freshness.
Enjoy your homemade lemon yogurt cake with its moist texture!
Lemon Yogurt Cake Calories
The calorie content of a lemon yogurt cake can vary depending on the specific ingredients and portion size. On average, a slice of lemon yogurt cake (about 1/12th of a 9-inch cake) can contain approximately 250 to 300 calories. However, it’s important to note that these values are estimates and can differ based on the recipe and any additional toppings or glazes used.
The main contributors to the calorie content in lemon yogurt cake are the flour, sugar, yogurt, eggs, and oil. The exact amounts of these ingredients and any variations in the recipe can affect the overall calorie count. Additionally, if you choose to add a lemon glaze or other toppings, it will add extra calories.
To get a more accurate estimation of the calorie content in your homemade lemon yogurt cake, it is recommended to calculate the calories based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. You can refer to the nutrition information on the packaging of the ingredients or use online calorie calculators to determine the calorie content of your cake.
Remember to consider portion sizes and enjoy lemon yogurt cake in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
I recently tried out the “Lemon Yogurt Cake” recipe, and I must say, it was a delightful experience.
While the cake was in the oven, my kitchen was filled with the inviting scent of lemon. The baking time was accurate, and the cake rose beautifully, forming a golden crust on the outside. It was exciting to watch the cake’s transformation through the oven window.
Now, let’s get to the most crucial part – the taste. The taste of this Lemon Yogurt Cake is truly exceptional. The combination of zesty lemon and creamy yogurt creates a harmonious blend of flavors that is both refreshing and satisfying. The cake itself is moist and tender, and the lemon glaze adds the perfect amount of sweetness and tanginess.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥