Pie Baking Magic: A Lemon Pie Recipe to Remember
I’m going to show you a recipe for lemon pie that you can make at home!
About Lemon Pie
Health and Nutritional Information:
Lemon pie, like most desserts, is not typically considered a health food. It contains ingredients such as butter, sugar, and a pie crust made from flour, which contribute to its high calorie and fat content. However, lemons themselves offer some health benefits. They are a good source of vitamin C, which supports immune function and acts as an antioxidant. Lemons also contain small amounts of other vitamins and minerals, including potassium and folate. Keep in mind that the overall nutritional profile of a lemon pie will depend on the specific recipe and portion size.
Lemon pie is often enjoyed as a dessert or a sweet treat after a meal. Its tangy and refreshing flavor can provide a delightful ending to a hearty dinner. Consider pairing it with lighter main courses, such as grilled fish or roasted chicken, to balance out the richness of the pie. Alternatively, you can savor it on its own or with a cup of tea or coffee as an indulgent afternoon snack.
The main ingredients in a lemon pie typically include lemons, sugar, butter, eggs, and a pie crust. Lemons are the star ingredient, providing the distinct citrusy flavor. Granulated sugar adds sweetness, while butter and eggs contribute to the richness and texture. The pie crust is made from flour, butter, and sometimes sugar, providing a crisp and flaky base for the filling. Additional ingredients may be used to enhance the flavor, such as lemon zest or vanilla extract.
Historical and Cultural Background:
Lemon pie has roots in American cuisine and is often associated with Southern cooking. It gained popularity in the United States during the early 19th century, where lemons were readily available. Lemon pies became a staple in Southern households, and variations like lemon meringue pie and lemon chess pie emerged over time. Today, lemon pie is enjoyed in many parts of the world and has become a classic dessert in various cultures.
Homemade Tips and Equipment Suggestions:
Making a homemade lemon pie can be a rewarding culinary experience. Here are a few tips to help you along the way:
- Fresh lemons: Use fresh lemons to extract the juice and zest. This will ensure a vibrant and zesty flavor in the pie.
- Pre-baking the crust: To prevent a soggy crust, consider pre-baking the pie crust for a few minutes before adding the filling. This will help it maintain its structure.
- Whipped cream or meringue topping: For an extra touch, top your lemon pie with whipped cream or meringue. Whipped cream adds a creamy texture, while meringue provides a light and fluffy element.
As for equipment, you will need a pie dish or tart pan to hold the pie. A mixing bowl, whisk, and spatula are essential for preparing the filling. Additionally, an oven will be necessary for baking the pie.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
Lemon pie pairs well with a variety of food and beverage options. Here are a few suggestions:
- Tea: Enjoy a slice of lemon pie with a cup of hot or iced tea. Earl Grey or herbal teas with citrus flavors complement the tartness of the pie.
- Coffee: For coffee lovers, a cup of black coffee can provide a nice contrast to the sweetness of the pie.
- Fruit: Serve lemon pie with fresh berries, such as strawberries or raspberries, for a burst of fruity flavors that complement the citrusy notes.
- Vanilla ice cream: The creamy and smooth texture of vanilla ice cream complements the tangy filling of lemon pie, creating a delicious contrast.
Remember to experiment and discover your own favorite pairings to enhance your lemon pie experience.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Lemon Pie Recipe and Tips
- 1 9-inch pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Whipped cream or meringue for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to the temperature indicated on the pie crust package or your homemade recipe. If using a store-bought crust, follow the package instructions for blind baking or pre-baking the crust.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in the water until the mixture is smooth. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture boils, reduce the heat to low. Take a small amount of the hot mixture and gradually whisk it into the beaten egg yolks to temper them. Then, slowly pour the tempered yolks into the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook the mixture over low heat for an additional 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Pour the lemon filling into the pre-baked pie crust. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- If desired, prepare the meringue by beating the egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the meringue over the filling, making sure to seal the edges.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. If not using meringue, you can skip this step and move on to the next.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the filling to set.
- Serve chilled with whipped cream or meringue topping, if desired.
- For a homemade pie crust, you can find various recipes online or use a favorite family recipe.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor. It’s recommended to strain the juice to remove any seeds or pulp.
- Adding lemon zest enhances the citrus flavor in the pie. Use a microplane or fine grater to zest the lemons, being careful not to grate the bitter white pith.
- To achieve a smooth and creamy filling, make sure to continually stir the mixture while it’s cooking to prevent lumps.
- If using a meringue topping, spread it over the hot filling to create a seal and prevent it from weeping.
- Allow the pie to cool completely and chill in the refrigerator before serving for the best texture and flavor.
Enjoy your homemade lemon pie!
Calories of Lemon Pie
The number of calories in a lemon pie can vary depending on the specific recipe and serving size. However, I can provide you with a general estimate of the calorie content in a typical slice of lemon pie.
On average, a slice of lemon pie (1/8th of a 9-inch pie) can contain approximately 250-350 calories. This estimate includes the calories from the pie crust, lemon filling, and any toppings such as meringue or whipped cream.
It’s important to note that the calorie content may differ based on the ingredients and variations in recipes. To get a more accurate calculation, it’s recommended to input the specific ingredients and quantities used in your recipe into a nutrition calculator or consult the nutritional information provided with the specific brand of pie crust or other packaged ingredients you use.
Remember that portion size plays a significant role in overall calorie intake, so it’s advisable to enjoy lemon pie in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
- Lemon pie is visually appealing with its golden crust and vibrant yellow filling.
- The aroma of fresh lemons in the pie is invigorating and enticing.
- The pie has a delightful balance of sweetness and tanginess.
- Its creamy texture is smooth and luscious, adding to its appeal.
- The first bite of lemon pie delivers a burst of tangy and zesty lemon flavor.
- The sweetness of the filling complements the tartness, creating a harmonious taste.
- The buttery and flaky crust adds a satisfying crunch to each bite.
- The overall taste is refreshing and light, leaving a pleasant citrusy aftertaste.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥Lemon pie recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥