Asian Comfort in a Bowl: Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Today, I’m going to give you an egg drop soup recipe that you can make at home!
About Egg Drop Soup
Health and Nutrition Information:
Egg Drop Soup is a low-calorie and nutritious dish.
It is rich in protein from the eggs and contains essential vitamins and minerals.
Egg Drop Soup is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a light appetizer or a comforting meal.
It is particularly suitable for those looking for a quick and easy option for a light lunch or dinner
The main ingredients of Egg Drop Soup are eggs, chicken or vegetable broth, and seasonings such as soy sauce, ginger, and green onions.
Historical and Cultural Background:
Egg Drop Soup is a popular dish in Chinese cuisine and is believed to have originated in China.
It has a long history and is considered a traditional comfort food.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
When making Egg Drop Soup at home, it is important to beat the eggs thoroughly before adding them to the hot broth to achieve the desired texture.
A basic pot or saucepan is sufficient for preparing Egg Drop Soup. However, using a whisk or fork to stir the eggs while incorporating them into the broth can help create the characteristic “egg drop” effect.
Food and Beverage Pairing:
Egg Drop Soup pairs well with a variety of dishes such as fried rice, stir-fried vegetables, or steamed dumplings.
It is commonly served alongside other Chinese dishes as part of a larger meal.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional, for thickening)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the eggs until well beaten.
- If desired, mix the cornstarch with a little water to create a slurry and set aside.
- Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to low and slowly pour the beaten eggs into the pot while stirring gently in one direction.
- If using the cornstarch slurry, slowly pour it into the pot while stirring continuously to thicken the soup.
- Add the sliced green onions, grated ginger, and soy sauce to the soup. Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the soup for a few more minutes until the eggs are cooked and the flavors are well combined.
- Serve hot and garnish with additional green onions, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Egg Drop Soup!
Calories in Egg Drop Soup
The calorie content of Egg Drop Soup is approximately 70-100 calories per serving (about 1 cup). Please note that this is an estimate and may vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used.
Making Egg Drop Soup was a simple and straightforward process. The soup came together quickly, and the aroma of the broth filled the kitchen, creating a comforting atmosphere. The act of slowly pouring the beaten eggs into the simmering broth and watching them transform into delicate ribbons was mesmerizing.
The taste of Egg Drop Soup was light, yet flavorful. The clear broth had a savory and umami essence, enhanced by the subtle hints of ginger and green onions. The silky texture of the egg ribbons added a delicate creaminess to each spoonful. It was a warm and comforting soup, perfect for a soothing meal.
- Chicken Caprese Panini
- Chorizo, Queso, and Pepper Panini Sandwich
- Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Tortilla Pinwheels
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
Egg Drop Soup Recipe, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!