Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage and Garlic
Hello! Good day! 🙂♡
Today, I’m going to tell you a special recipe that you can make and eat at home!
If you add the linked page to your bookmarks now, you won’t have to worry about the menu again.
Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage and Garlic
This dish presents a fusion of textures and flavors in the form of a crispy cast iron skillet pizza adorned with fennel, sausage, and garlic. The pizza not only offers a delightful taste experience but also a satisfying combination of ingredients.
For a hearty meal, indulge in this crispy cast iron skillet pizza with fennel, sausage, and garlic. The combination of the crisp crust, savory sausage, aromatic garlic, and the unique touch of fennel creates a well-balanced and memorable dish.
Cultural and Global Context:
Pizza is a globally beloved dish that originated in Italy and has since become popular worldwide. Different regions have put their own spin on pizza, incorporating local ingredients and flavors. The use of a cast iron skillet adds a rustic touch to the preparation, making it suitable for both traditional and creative variations.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
To achieve a crispy crust, preheat the cast iron skillet in the oven before adding the pizza dough. A well-seasoned cast iron skillet imparts a distinct flavor and enhances the crust’s texture. Homemade pizza allows for customization, so feel free to experiment with cheese blends and additional toppings.
Matching with Food and Drinks:
A light and refreshing salad can complement the richness of the pizza, offering a contrast in both taste and texture. As for beverages, consider pairing this pizza with a chilled craft beer or a crisp white wine to balance the savory and aromatic elements.
The cost of ingredients for a cast iron skillet pizza with fennel, sausage, and garlic can vary based on the quality of the sausage, cheese, and other toppings used. Sausage and fennel are often affordable ingredients, and the cost may also depend on whether you’re using fresh or pre-made pizza dough.
Enjoy the delightful harmony of flavors in this Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage, and Garlic, a dish that brings together the essence of pizza-making with a rustic and flavorful twist.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along! 🙂
Cooking time, Recipe and Tips, Storage and Shelf Life
The cooking time for Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage, and Garlic can vary based on the thickness of the pizza crust, the specific oven temperature used, and the desired level of crispiness. On average, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to bake the pizza in a preheated oven.
Recipe and Tips:
- Pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- Olive oil
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sliced fennel
- Cooked sausage (crumbled or sliced)
- Minced garlic
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to the recommended temperature for your pizza dough (usually around 450°F or 230°C).
- Preheat a cast iron skillet in the oven as it heats up.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough to fit the size of the cast iron skillet.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and drizzle it with olive oil to coat the bottom.
- Transfer the rolled-out pizza dough to the hot skillet, pressing it into the bottom and up the sides.
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a border for the crust.
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Arrange sliced fennel, cooked sausage, and minced garlic over the cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes for added heat.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and garnish the pizza with fresh basil leaves.
- Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Preheating the cast iron skillet helps achieve a crispy bottom crust.
- Stretch the pizza dough to fit the skillet, ensuring it’s evenly distributed without any thick spots.
- Use a light hand when adding toppings to prevent overcrowding and ensure even cooking.
- Experiment with different cheeses, such as fontina or gouda, for unique flavor profiles.
- For extra flavor, drizzle a touch of olive oil over the finished pizza before serving.
Storage and Shelf Life:
Leftover pizza can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the pizza slices on a baking sheet and warm them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5-7 minutes, or until heated through. Reheating in the oven helps maintain the crust’s crispiness.
How many calories?
The number of calories in Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage, and Garlic can vary based on the specific quantities of ingredients used, the thickness of the crust, and the portion size. Here’s a rough estimate of the calorie content for each main ingredient commonly used in this type of pizza:
- Pizza dough (per slice, about 1/8 of a 12-inch pizza): Approximately 100-150 calories.
- Olive oil (for drizzling): Approximately 120 calories (per tablespoon).
- Pizza sauce (per 1/4 cup): Approximately 20-30 calories.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese (per 1/4 cup): Approximately 80-100 calories.
- Sliced fennel (per 1/4 cup): Approximately 10-15 calories.
- Cooked sausage (per 1/4 cup): Approximately 100-150 calories.
- Minced garlic (per clove): Approximately 5 calories.
- Fresh basil leaves (for garnish, negligible calories).
Keep in mind that these estimates are approximate and can vary based on factors like the specific brands and types of ingredients used, as well as portion sizes.
To calculate the total calorie content for your specific pizza, you’ll need to determine the portion size of the pizza slice you’re serving and account for the calories from each ingredient used. You can then add up the calorie values for each component based on the estimates provided above.
For a more precise calorie count, it’s recommended to use a nutrition calculator or app that allows you to input the exact quantities of each ingredient used in your recipe. This will provide you with a more accurate measurement of the calorie content per serving.
Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage, and Garlic presents a visual feast with its golden-brown crust and artful arrangement of toppings. The aroma that wafts from the skillet is inviting, promising a flavorful journey. The rustic charm of a cast iron skillet adds an element of authenticity to the experience, setting the stage for a delightful meal.
From the very first bite, Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage, and Garlic captivates the senses with a symphony of flavors. The initial crunch of the crust leads to a medley of tastes that harmonize beautifully. The savory notes of the sausage intertwine with the aromatic garlic, while the fennel introduces a subtle yet distinctive anise-like essence.
The crust, with its crispy exterior and tender interior, provides the perfect canvas for the array of toppings. Each component shines individually while contributing to a balanced ensemble of taste.
The combination of mozzarella cheese, when melted and bubbly, envelops the palate with a comforting creaminess. The pizza sauce brings a touch of tanginess that complements the richness of the cheese and sausage.
The marriage of textures—from the crispness of the crust to the tender sausage and the delicate crunch of the fennel—creates a symphony of mouthfeel that adds depth to the enjoyment.
The overall experience is a journey through layers of flavor that evolve with each bite. The hints of spice and herbaceousness from the sausage and garlic, coupled with the mild sweetness of the fennel, dance harmoniously on the palate.
In conclusion, Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza with Fennel, Sausage, and Garlic is a culinary masterpiece that elevates the concept of homemade pizza. It offers a fusion of tastes that ignites the senses, making each bite a delightful exploration of flavors and textures.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
Enjoy your meal and have a happy day! ♥