chicken and shrimp carbonara
Today, I’m going to show you a recipe for shrimp carbonara that you can make at home!
About Shrimp Carbonara
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Shrimp Carbonara is a rich and indulgent dish typically made with shrimp, pasta, eggs, cheese, and cream.
- It is a high-calorie dish due to the presence of cream, cheese, and pasta.
- Shrimp is a good source of protein and various vitamins and minerals, including selenium and vitamin B12.
- However, the dish is also high in saturated fat and cholesterol due to the use of cream and cheese.
- Shrimp Carbonara is a satisfying and hearty meal that is best enjoyed as an occasional indulgence rather than a regular part of a balanced diet.
- It can be served as a main course for lunch or dinner.
- Shrimp: Fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- Pasta: Traditional Carbonara is made with spaghetti, but you can use any pasta of your choice.
- Eggs: Fresh eggs are needed to create the creamy sauce.
- Cheese: Parmesan cheese is commonly used, but you can also add other cheeses like pecorino or grana padano.
- Cream: Heavy cream or whipping cream adds richness to the dish.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic enhances the flavor.
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, and optionally, red pepper flakes or parsley.
History and Cultural Background:
- Carbonara is a classic Italian pasta dish believed to have originated in Rome. It traditionally includes ingredients like eggs, cheese, cured pork, and black pepper.
- Shrimp Carbonara is a variation of the traditional recipe, incorporating shrimp for a seafood twist.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- Use fresh and high-quality ingredients, including fresh shrimp and eggs.
- Cook the pasta until al dente to ensure it retains a slight bite and doesn’t become mushy.
- Be careful not to overcook the shrimp to prevent them from becoming tough.
- Have all the ingredients prepped and ready before starting the cooking process.
- Equipment needed includes a large pot for boiling the pasta, a skillet or pan for cooking the shrimp and sauce, and a whisk for blending the sauce.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Shrimp Carbonara pairs well with a crisp green salad or garlic bread as a side dish.
- For beverages, it goes well with a glass of white wine such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Recipe and Tips for Shrimp Carbonara
- 8 ounces (225 grams) pasta of your choice (spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine)
- 8 ounces (225 grams) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside, leaving the bacon drippings in the skillet.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until pink and cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, and heavy cream until well combined.
- Lower the heat to low, and quickly add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the garlic. Stir to coat the pasta with the bacon drippings.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and immediately pour the egg mixture over the pasta. Stir quickly to evenly coat the pasta with the sauce. The residual heat will cook the eggs, creating a creamy sauce.
- Return the skillet to low heat and add the cooked shrimp and bacon. Stir to combine and heat through.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Tips for Shrimp Carbonara:
- Use fresh and high-quality ingredients for the best flavor.
- Cook the pasta until al dente to maintain a slight bite.
- Be careful not to overcook the shrimp to prevent them from becoming rubbery.
- Reserve some pasta cooking water in case you need to thin out the sauce.
- Stir quickly when adding the egg mixture to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Feel free to customize the recipe by adding vegetables like peas or mushrooms, or spices like red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
Enjoy your delicious Shrimp Carbonara!
Calories of shrimp carbonara
The calorie content of shrimp carbonara can vary depending on the specific ingredients and portion sizes used. On average, a serving of shrimp carbonara (about 1 cup or 230 grams) can contain approximately 400-600 calories. However, it’s important to note that these values are estimates and may vary based on the specific recipe and preparation methods. If you’re looking for more precise calorie information, it’s recommended to calculate the calories based on the ingredients and amounts you use in your recipe.
- Creamy and indulgent
- Rich and flavorful
- Decadent and satisfying
- Combination of shrimp, pasta, and creamy sauce
- Creamy sauce enhances the flavor of the shrimp
- The shrimp adds a savory and slightly sweet taste
- The combination of cheese and cream creates a rich and smooth texture
- The pasta provides a hearty and comforting base
- Well-balanced flavors with a hint of garlic and black pepper
Please note that these are general impressions and taste evaluations. Actual experiences may vary depending on the specific recipe and personal preferences.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
♥The recipe for shrimp carbonara, Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!♥