Homemade Baguette Recipe: Creating French Baguette at Home
Hello! Today, I’m going to show you a baguette recipe that you can make at home!
Health and Nutritional Information:
- Baguette is a type of bread that is generally low in fat and cholesterol.
- It provides a good source of carbohydrates, which are an important energy source for the body.
- Also contains small amounts of protein and dietary fiber.
- Baguette can be enjoyed as part of a balanced meal, serving as a versatile accompaniment to various dishes.
- It pairs well with soups, salads, and sandwiches, making it a popular choice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- The main ingredients include flour, water, yeast, and salt. Some recipes may also include sugar or olive oil.
Historical and Cultural Background:
- Originated in France and has become an iconic symbol of French cuisine.
- It has a long history dating back to the 18th century, evolving from various bread-making traditions in France.
Homemade Tips and Equipment:
- To achieve a crusty exterior and soft interior, it is recommended to bake the baguette at a high temperature.
- Specialized equipment like a baguette pan or a baking stone can help in achieving the desired shape and texture.
Matching with Food and Beverages:
- Pairs well with a variety of spreads, such as butter, cheese, or dips like hummus.
- It is often served alongside charcuterie, cheese platters, or as a base for bruschetta.
- Baguette goes well with both hot and cold beverages, including coffee, tea, wine, or even a refreshing glass of water.
Shall we get started?
Take your time and follow along!
Baguette Recipe and Tips
- 500g bread flour
- 10g salt
- 10g sugar
- 7g active dry yeast
- 350ml warm water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (425°F) and place an empty baking dish on the bottom rack.
- Punch down the dough to release any air bubbles and divide it into two equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a long baguette by rolling and elongating the dough.
- Place the baguettes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and make diagonal slashes on the top using a sharp knife.
- Fill the empty baking dish in the oven with boiling water to create steam.
- Bake the baguettes in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let the baguettes cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Proper kneading is essential to develop gluten and create a light, airy texture in the baguette.
- Letting the dough rise in a warm place helps activate the yeast and promotes a better rise.
- Slashing the top of the baguette allows for expansion during baking and creates the classic baguette appearance.
- For a crustier baguette, mist the oven with water before baking or use a spray bottle to create steam.
Enjoy your delicious Baguette!
Calories of Baguette
The calorie content of a baguette can vary depending on its size and ingredients used. On average, a standard 8-inch (20cm) baguette weighing approximately 2.8 ounces (80g) contains about 170-180 calories. However, it’s important to note that the calorie content may differ based on the specific recipe and variations in ingredients. Additionally, adding spreads or fillings to the baguette will increase the overall calorie count. If you have a specific brand or type of baguette in mind, please provide more details for a more accurate calorie estimation.
- The baguette has a long and slender shape, which gives it an elegant and visually appealing appearance.
- Its crust is typically crisp and golden, providing a satisfying crunch with each bite.
- The interior of the baguette is soft and chewy, creating a delightful contrast in texture.
- The flavor of a baguette is mild and slightly tangy, with subtle hints of wheat and yeast.
- The crust adds a toasty and caramelized taste, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- When freshly baked, the baguette has a wonderful aroma that is reminiscent of a French bakery.
I am Korean and I love cooking all kinds of food, including American cuisine.
Thank you for reading my blog today. If you have any questions about Korean food,
please leave a comment and I will post delicious Korean food recipes. Thank you for your comments and likes!
homemade baguette recipe,Enjoy your meal and have a happy day!